Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post #13


E-Media Fast

I did it! I successfully went without my iPhone, iPad, tv, and computer for 24 hours. Was it easy? Absolutely not! The only thing that helped me was that I had plenty of activities to keep me busy. I chose to start it at 8:00 a.m. Saturday morning so that I could check my e-mail and such before it started. I have two little girls that refuse to sleep in, so I'm always up around 6:30 (or earlier) on Saturday and Sunday mornings. We had their ballet class at 10:45 and then I had to be at a wedding at 2:00 and I didn't get home from that until around 9, and I was EXHAUSTED so I went straight to bed. I caught myself during the reception wanting my phone to take pictures and such but I didn't have possession of it, I left it at my parents house so that I would not be able to access it. I understand now, how hard it is for kids to come into a classroom with no technology and think they are in the dark ages. It is such a part of our everyday lives, and the children of today know nothing different. It was a weird feeling, and I'm glad it was only 24 hours because much more than that and I would have caved! The only other time I can remember being without communications was during Hurricane Katrina and my phone wasn't working for maybe 6 or 7 hours and I thought the world was ending!

2 comments:

  1. That is a good idea to do it on a Saturday because I did mine during a week day and I was worried my teachers were going to send me an important email and I would not get it. Mine media fast was also very difficult. The most difficult thing for me was not having my cell phone. I found myself through out the day trying to check it. I am glad I did the fast though because it made me appreciative for technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! Very few people haven't been able to do the fast successfully!

    ReplyDelete