Sunday, October 9, 2011

Blog Post #7





Randy Pausch The Last Lecture

First, I don't think that 4 paragraphs about this man is enough! He was a truly amazing person. I enjoyed this video for a number of reasons. I thought that the fact that he accomplished all but one of his childhood dreams was amazing, not many can say that they have done that. This gives hope to me that it's not entirely impossible to accomplish some of the things I have dreamed of even if they are a little silly! I liked that even though he didn't become an NFL player, that that was one of the most important training in life that he had. It taught him to be a team player, which we found was key to his success in his classes.

He had so many inspirational quotes throughout his lecture and my favorite one was that brick walls aren't there to keep us out, they are there to make us try harder to get what we want. The world would be a better place if there were more people like Mr. Pausch. He wanted to see his students succeed and kind of tricked them into learning while they were having fun. You could tell that he was so proud of his students and what they learned.

For someone who was terminally ill, he had a spirit about him like I have never seen. He introduced "Alice", his project and said that although he wouldn't be around to see the end he knew it would be a success. I believe it will too! His children are very blessed to have had a dad that was that extraordinary and I hope they will know that. He is and should be an inspiration to every teacher out there.

When I first opened this assignment, I was a little hesitant on watching an hour long lecture. However, after I started it I couldn't get enough. I watched it, then watched more videos about him and found a few more interviews that he did after he made this one. I came to wish I had actually known him after about 2 hours, and to me that is powerful! I will never forget this one.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Carrie my name is Vicki Nelson and I was assigned to you this week. I also read what you had written about Randy Pausch. And you are so right. He was a very smart guy.You wouldn't even know by just looking at him that he was sick. When you start listening to his lectures they just drawl you in closer and closer and before you know it you won't realize that have been sitting on the computer for hours. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete