Sunday, September 25, 2011

Blog Post #5



Who is Scott McLeod?

I thought his blogpost was very interesting just because it hit home with me as soon as I read it. I have a 4 year old that has the opportunity to learn in a program called wiz kids that teaches them about the computer. I declined to enroll her in it because I felt like she needed to be sheltered from the computer as long as possible. I have now changed my mind! I think as long as we educate the students on safety while using the internet, then it should be a very important part of our curriculum. It not only expands the horizons on what and how we teach, it is preparing them for almost every imaginable career out there. I get it now, and will be enrolling her next year!

Scott McLeod has been such an influential person in education, he is an Associate Professor of Educational Leadership at the University of Kentucky and also the founding director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education. With this said, he must know a little bit of what he is writing about!

The iSchool Initiative

I think Travis has an awesome idea! He is arguing that by using the iPod touch that it will help students, teachers, and parents work together and at the same time going green in the schools. What can be better than this? According to him, it will save $600 per student, that would likely make it possible for some teachers to keep their job.

I believe this is an excellent idea, but if implemented it would need a small test round first! The only downfall in the plan is that kids lose things. The iPod touch is extremely breakable and small, it could be lost or stolen and then what? The schools will not be able to keep replacing them for the students. This is a point that I would love for Travis to defend, other than that I think it's an great plan!

Eric Whitacres's Virtual Choir

This was an awesome video! The fact that they had these complete strangers sing in unison was amazing to me. This shows the power that the internet and technology can bring to us. There are endless possibilities to what we can do. All I can say is wow, and what are they going to think of next?

Teaching in the 21st Century

I understand that the way in which we teach is going to become more and more geared towards technology and I am completely fine with that and agree that it should be. The only problem I see with every student having iPods and such as the sole tools to manage homework among other things is that they are far more expensive than pens and pencils to break or get lost. With that said, kids really need to learn all the skills and vocabulary associated with technology. There were some words that flashed up that I have just learned since being in this class! That is very important for the correct use and safety of the internet. I really enjoyed this video!

3 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    As always, your personality shows through in your writing! Great job relating to the assignment and assessing it for its usefulness. This is what we want our own students to be able to do: assess, validate, and form an opinion on information and forms of technology rather than using it to pass the time, or simply as tools. I think this goes back to what Scott Mcleod is talking about when he says that his students will have a leg up on the competition in the future. It is this cultivated ability to create with and evaluate technology, not just merely navigate it, that he is talking about.
    Keep up the good work, Carrie :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
  2. McLeod: You got the sarcasm. Many students didn't and interpreted McLeod's post literally.

    Good! You are learning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi we like commenting we hope you keep visiting our blog Carrie,by Aum and Maia

    ReplyDelete