Sunday, September 4, 2011

Blog Post #2

My daughter at the computer lab at her school

Did You Know? 3.0 by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod

That was quite an interesting video. As a future educator, this video definitely put into perspective the importance that technology has on our world. I also liked the question that it asked about to whom the questions were addressed prior to Google. I can only assume that was back in the "dark ages" when we had to go to the library and research the old fashioned way. That to me seems extremely out-dated, I am 30 years old and when I graduated from high school in 1999, cell phones were huge and it wasn't until the summer after graduation that texting started. With that said, we as future educators must be educated ourselves on the latest technical products and services, just because they can be important tools to help our kids learn more effectively and also as a bridge to connect with them. I also thought it was a little ironic that they used myspace as an example, that proves the point that these things can go out just as fast as they come in!

Another interesting aspect to this video, was that I did not realize that China was soon to be the number one english speaking country in world! This is big, and I have a feeling that internet probably has a huge influence on that. Another important fact that it showed was the time it took to reach a market target of 50 million people, the radio took 38 years, and the fast forward to the iPod and it only took 3 years! That is crazy! If these resources are used correctly and carefully, educators will be able to use them to their advantage in the classroom.

"Mr. Winkle Wakes" by Mathew Needleman

This was a short video with a strong message. Mr. Winkle wakes up from a 100 year sleep and visits an office building where he finds computers and printers, and even gets introduced to a video conference. He then makes his way to a hospital where there are x-ray machines and machines that keep people alive by putting air in their lungs. Finally, he goes into a school and this is where he feels most comfortable because nothing has changed while he's been sleeping for 100 years.

I understand that the message it is trying to get across is that the school systems in America are falling behind the times, but it is not across the board! I have since found this out for other areas just by following people on twitter, the problem is funding. Schools must have the available funds in order to catch up! I know that in Mobile County all the classrooms now have smart boards, which is a huge step!

"The Importance of Creativity" by Sir Ken Robinson

This video really opened my eyes and made me reflect on education and even my education as a child. What he said is all very true, we are too quick to make judgements on children that aren't learning the "right" way. Just like the lady who is now a multi-millionaire for being one of the most famous choreographers ever to be. She couldn't sit still in school so she was sent off and her parents were told she may have a learning disability. All I can say is it's a good thing she was a child in the 1930's! If she had been a child in today's society, she would have been medicated and never shown her real talent of dancing.

I am currently studying to be an elementary teacher, so there are so many ways that I can incorporate the arts in my classroom in every subject. I plan on doing just that, where it is not everyone's strong talent, it still may be for some. We as educators, especially at the elementary level, cannot discourage creative thinking and when a child at age 5 says they want to be a ballerina when they grow up, tell them that is great! Not, well you can't get a job doing that, pick something else. We are quick to throw these kinds of careers to the side just because the industry is smaller, and it wouldn't be so small had we been discovering the talent all along.

Cecilia Gault

The interview that Cecilia did with Sir Ken Robinson was very good. I liked the responses that he gave her to what he thought intelligence is, that it is the ability to make sense of the world around you. I also agree completely with Mr. Robinson on the three myths of creativity. Just because you are deemed creative does not necessarily mean that it has to been done in the typical art fashion, it can be in any line of subjects.
I really enjoyed listening to Mr. Robinson and would like to listen to more that he has to say on this subject or any other ideas he may have for education. He is funny, in a dry kind of way, and very interesting with some great point of views that I have never thought of before. I do believe though that he is right on target in that the education systems suppress creativity and make our children grow out of it.

"Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts"

WOW! Vicki Davis is amazing, she is setting these students up for so many different things they will be using as professionals when they get out of school. They will not only be comfortable with technology, but even with getting up in front of people to do presentations and not experiencing any anxiety. I also thought it was neat that the students were teaching her new things as well. She didn't go in knowing everything, she was learning right along with her students.

Also I thought that her accomplishment of having the best blog was an awesome achievement, especially given her geographic location! Sometimes as we know, the south is the last place that catches on to new trends. Her classroom reminded me a lot of our edm310 class, I hope that I am able to implement this kind of technology in my classroom!

3 comments:

  1. Carrie,
    I most agree with your statement that the point of Matthew Needleman's video Mr. Winkle Wakes was to show that the school systems in America are falling behind, but this out-datedness is not "across the board". Plenty of schools and districts are doing well, and for those districts that lack funding, there are always a few crafty teachers that can push through just the same. When the staff took a trip to EdCamp LA, a non-conference in New Orleans, we met with several teachers who are working very hard to stay with the times and make the most of what little funding their parish does give them! I think if our government devoted the money to education as they did to other, less important programs, more teachers like them might stand up or take advantage of it!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,
    I really enjoyed your post! There were two things that really "hit home" to me. The first was regarding Google, and who we asked all these questions to before it existed. I can't tell you how many times in a day I say, "I'm not sure - let's Google it!" When I was in elementary school there was no such thing! (Or it was so new that we didn't really know to use it as a resource.)

    The second thing was in Ken Robinson's video where he tells the story about the choreographer of CATS being told she had a learning disability. You are so right - it's a good thing she was a child in the 30s! It is so sad today that our first response is not to be resourceful and try another method of teaching. It is to pump them full of medicine to make our jobs easier. In some instances, I do feel that medication is appropriate, but I think it should be used as a last resort when we have tried all we know to try.
    Great post! I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you see SMARTBoards transforming classroom education or are they used as replacements for overhead projectors?

    ReplyDelete